Friday, September 03, 2004

Bobby D. and Jimi

It's no surprise really that now, after months and months of inane bullshit and a profound lack of creativity, I'm struck with an urge to pick up the guitar. For that matter, I feel like reading novels again, even Sir Charles Dickens would be fine with me. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter a damn bit who the author is, so long as they don't address inhibitory functioning versus appetitive functioning or taxometrics or electrodermal reactivity. My studies are engulfing me in a process known as phagocytosis (and if you don't know what it means, look it up...It'll be good for you, at least that's what my parents told me.)
Anthony plays his guitar around our apartment a fair bit and over the years, has developed a real passion for rock 'n roll and the blues. He's the only black man I've ever known (granted there haven't been many) who cites Eric Clapton, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Brian May (of Queen infamy), Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eddie Van Halen as his musical idols. Earlier this week, Anthony confessed that he'd been feeling rundown and generally out-of-sorts due to the sheer abundance of reading. My suggestion to him was that he search out some blues or rock music at our library. As it turned out, the library here on campus doesn't have much in the way of compact discs (at least not that we've happened across yet,) but they do have an extensive video library. There, Anthony discovered a series dubbed, "The History of Rock 'n Roll." Perhaps many of you are familiar with it. In all their are roughly ten videos, each approximately 90 minutes long and I've already sat through three in one day's time. I'm noticing here that the paragraph is stretching on, so I'll end it quickly by saying that Jimi Hendrix and Bob Dylan were and still are untouchables. Those two men, flat out, knew how to play.
The extended weekend is upon us and thank you Jesus for that. Contrary to the previous weekends down here, I've got a couple things planned. Several of the guys in the clinical program (there aren't many) get together monthly for a friendly poker tournament and I've opted to accept their invite for this Saturday evening. In addition, a barbecue will be held on Labor Day by another of my peers and I'll be attending that as well. Both will be a good opportunity to get out and unwind a tad. I know this sounds like real good times and I have no doubt that I will enjoy myself, but let me assure you each and every available moment outside of those obligations will be devoted to the ever-growing stack. Naturally, this can have a dampening effect on a man's spirit and I'm fighting an uphill battle to remain optimistic. Largely successful, mind y'all, but uphill non-the-less.
I'm tempted to share samplings of the assigned readings I've been given, but that would be an attempt at stalling and we can't have that. In the meantime, know that I WILL fill y'all in and you're gonna like it. We're talking, articles like, "A Proposal to Classify Happiness as a Psychiatric Disorder." It's good, I promise! Later everyone.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?